16.6.09

::Homemade ice cream in a bag::

I've been looking for fun easy things (crafts, food, etc.) to take and do on our camping trip (July 4th). In my searching, I found a recipe for ice cream in a bag! I decided to try it out first in order to, hopefully, save ourselves from a total fiasco while camping. I was a bit skeptical when I saw the recipe, but we tried it and IT WORKED! Is it delicious? It's no Blue Bell, but its pretty good. My little man sure liked it, and it was so easy! I set the bag of ice cream in a dish towel for J to eat because it was really cold. The one downside is that its kind of leaky while you're shaking it. So, maybe plan on making outside, and it should work great!

What you'll need:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons rock salt
1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
Ice cubes

How to make it:
-Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
-Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
-Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
-Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
-Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

Tips:
A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. But don't increase the proportions more that that -- a large amount might be too big for kids to pick-up because the ice itself is heavy.

I got this recipe from Kaboose. Go check it out! They have more fun summer craft ideas to help keep those kids entertained while school's out.

No comments:

Post a Comment