6.6.09

Pinned Up -POPPY

I'm planning a 1940s birthday soiree for Hubba because he loves to dress up and he always says he was born in the wrong decade. It's also maybe a little bit for the girls. I mean, honestly, who wouldn't want an excuse to dress like a pin-up? I'm obsessed with 1940s style. So classic and feminine. So, as of late, I've been researching like crazy to get ideas for my clothes, makeup, and especially my hair and I must say, I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm almost done with my outfit which, I might add, I've spent less than ten dollars on so far- skirt, shirt and Steve Madden shoes. Don't you love thrift stores? I've also tried fixing my hair a couple times. The hairstyles are very versatile and surprisingly easy (once you get the hang of it). And 40s style is quite the attention getter, let me tell you. Everywhere you go, people look a little longer. My boys keep telling me, "Mama, you look pretty. I like your red lips." And Hubba thinks I look 'hot', so I guess that's a bonus. : )


If you want to try the look too, here are some helpful hints:
  • Watch videos online before doing it. They're very helpful. I like ilovegerardo and superkawaiimama. Super Kawaii Mama even has a blog dedicated to helping people find style inspiration at superkawaiimama.com.
  • Terms to look for- Victory rolls, reverse rolls, pin-curls
  • Do the pin-curls the night before on damp hair. Wrap with a silk scarf and sleep on it. In the morning, all that's left is to take out the pins, comb through a bit, and make some victory rolls
  • If you're wanting the look for a certain event, run through the styling a few different times. It takes some practice, so you don't want to wait until the day of the event to realize you don't know how to do the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment