24.11.09

Education

Remember my list of goals?

You can check number 4 right off that list. Charlotte's web. Ah! The accomplishment I feel! I wasn't sure about it at first, when C kept talking throughout, but eventually he actually started to LISTEN! I know! I was shocked, too.

And the book taught some great lessons about love, friendship, loyalty, gratitude, selflessness, and the circle of life, while also teaching him some new vocabulary words and facts about animals. I tried narration, as classical education suggests, and I had to prod a little to get an answer, but he kinda liked it. Sometimes, even when I asked specific questions, he didn't know the answer, but I let it slide. He IS only four years old, after all. But I think he started to listen a little better because he knew mommy would be stopping and asking him to summarize. Then, all on his own, he wanted to find the letters he knows in the text, he was asking me to read 'one more chapter', and before we knew it, we had read the whole book.

Right after finishing the book, we went to the farm with PETUNIA and her little Jman and A-bean. Perfect follow-up to this book. We saw our own versions of Uncle, Wilbur, Templeton, and the Geese. No Charlotte, but I can't say I minded that. Today we borrowed the movie from our neighbor and watched it together. The boys were jumping up and down, so excited to see the characters that they already knew and loved.

We've already started our second book, Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol', and it's moving along a lot quicker. The boys sit quietly (with crayons and paper) and listen to mommy read. They know the routine. When we're done reading this one, we'll go to the theater to see the new cartoon version with Jim Carey.

At this point, number 6 on my list of goals is looking like a YES. Homeschooling is a very possible option, but I'm still a little nervous about it.

I'd love to hear any of our readers thoughts on the subject. Are your kids homeschooled or do they attend public school? What are the pros and cons you see with public or homeschooling? If you homeschool, what methods do you use?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the information I've acquired at this point. Homeschooling feels right but even still I have NO idea where to begin with a kindergartener. Any suggestions are welcome. Even if you're against homeschooling. I'd love to hear your reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment