14.10.10

Finished Quilt

First off, I made that soup last night and it was a big hit at my house.
Like, a BIG hit.
My boys couldn't get enough of it. If you're trying to decide what to make for dinner tonight, I strongly suggest you try it out. I'm not much of a cook either, but this was pretty easy.

.......................................................................................

Now that that's out of the way, I finished the baby's quilt (a long time ago, mind you. I'm just not very good at posting my projects) and I love the finished product! I can see how this could easily become a hobby of mine.
I used the charm pack baby quilt tutorial from Diary of a Quilter, although I didn't actually use the 'charm pack'. I just cut out my own squares. This was my very first quilt (note: Petunia made THIS one, posted back in July. She was my inspiration.) and it really wasn't too hard, with these step-by-step tutorials.

I used this tutorial for the binding.

Hubba was jumping at the opportunity to help me out with this picture. He couldn't hide his enthusiasm.
Here's the back of the quilt:

and the top:
I used greens, yellows, and blues, not because those are the nursery colors, but because those were the fabrics that caught my eye. I've still been able to add some pink in the nursery and it's coming together just fine. (although I think I DO kind of have an eclectic style.)

If you're on the hunt for a good fabric store and haven't had much luck, go to Broadbents on 100 E. in Lehi. SO good. Love the selection and the store goes on forever with everything from baby clothes, to tea sets, to candies, to yarn, to vintage toys. Even though it's a little bit longer of a drive for me, it's always definitely worth it.

Want to make one but don't know where to start? Here's what I learned:
  • Basic supplies you need to get started- a quilting mat, rotary cutter, and ruler. These are a MUST for accurate and easy cutting and measuring.
  • You want your ruler and mat to be the same brand because the measurements will match up better
  • I got all of these things at Broadbent's and they were very helpful and didn't make me feel dumb for having no idea where to begin
  • expect to pay a little extra money up front for these types of supplies, but then you'll have them for future quilt-making
  • cut down on time and stress-level by sending it out to get 'quilted' rather than doing it yourself. I took the finished quilt top and back (about 5 inches longer than the quilt top on all four sides) to The Quilting Cottage in American Fork. They did a great job. 1 penny/sq. inch plus the cost of batting and thread (both provided by them)
And PLEASE send us a picture if you make one. We'd love to see your creations!
sc{dot}dragonlily{at}gmail{dot}com

No comments:

Post a Comment