7.9.12

More tried and true snacks

The pressure is on now.  The first thing out of Colson's mouth when I pick him up is always, 'What's the after-school snack today?'  He says he hurries to finish his work at the end of the day so that he can come out and ask me that question.

First off, I have to share these cute little olive penguins that I put in his lunch one day.  Instructions at In the Nursery of the Nation.  Colson told me that his friend had a good lunch too, so he said to him, 'Aren't moms the best?'  Sweet.


And some of our latest AFTER-SCHOOL SNACKS:


S'mores Dip!!

I'll allow a really sugary after-school snack ONLY every once in awhile.  My boysies had this s'mores dip one day at a friends house.  Colson couldn't stop talking about it and I promised him I'd make some one day.  I called my friend, Kim, from the grocery store, when the chocolate aisle sparked my memory of said promise, and she gave me the recipe.

 Oh, WATCH OUT!  Numerous times, my husband and I said, 'okay, I'm done' only to find our fingers, once again, creeping over to the stack of graham crackers and giving ourselves a generous scoop of the dip.  Yum!

Banana Bread [healthy version]


I had made this one before, so we already knew we liked it.  I always feel better about a snack when I know it's on the healthier side.   This recipe uses applesauce instead of butter, whole wheat flour instead of white, and honey in place of sugar (and I substituted brown rice syrup for the honey again, since I think honey IS pure sugar : ) )

Zucchini Brownies



Another healthy one.  What parent could say no to a brownie made with veggies?   And my kids really love these, too.  They don't taste exactly like the UNhealthy version, of course, but for a replacement, I think they're great!









Crispy Sweet Potato Fries and dip

I loved these but didn't love the mess they left on my cookie sheet.  They stick SO BADLY and I was stirring them every few minutes.  My kids weren't huge fans but I think maybe if I cut them a little thinner next time, they'd like them.




1 comment:

  1. Love these! I still haven't had the energy to make amazing after school snacks, but I do have plans to try all of these...someday. Do you want to share some of your lunches with us? I'm struggling a little bit. I change it up occasionally, but Jack gets lots of sandwiches, and he's already tired of them.

    ReplyDelete