10.2.11

Painted glass

I posted this idea for Valentine's Day, but decided I'd like to create something I'd use more often, so I went to Michael's for some 'Vitrea 160' (a water-based, transparent paint for glass) in turquoise and amaranthine (#s 11 and 7, respectively).

You want 160 because it remains transparent after baking. I also bought some paint thinner.



Then I stopped by the thrift store for some candlesticks and mason jars.




I poured a tiny amount of paint, along with about two drops of thinner, in a small tupperware bowl, stirred it around, and painted it on carefully with a paintbrush (with some assistance from my 'helper').



Then I baked it in the oven for the specified amount of time. I think it was 250 degrees for 25 minutes or something close to.

I haven't yet decided what to do with the candlesticks, although I LOVE how they turned out.


But my mason jars are being used to add some life to my previously colorless kitchen. The different shades were achieved by using different paint thickness. I used the least amount of thinner for the darkest one, more thinner for the one on the left, and the one on the right was created when I painted the Vitrea 160 on and then wiped it off with a paper towel. The words are now highlighted with blue but the majority of the jar is clear.




No comments:

Post a Comment