30.12.11

Handmade Gifts 4, 5, and 6

For my husband, I did something I've wanted to do for awhile. I think it's a sweet, sentimental gift. You can't go wrong with a shirt bearing the silhouettes of the little ones you ADORE. Am I right?

I was so excited for him to open it because it was made with love and I was really happy with how it turned out.

At first, he thought I'd cheated and just bought him a new shirt. Then, when he saw that it was our children on the shirt, he thought I had gotten it made.



I think the BEST handmade gifts are the ones that don't look like they're handmade, so I counted this as a huge success. He put it on right away and wore it the next day, too!

instructions here. I got the shirt, fabric paint, and paint brush all on the same craft isle at Wal-Mart.

Griffy's first attempt for a daddy gift was this:


but, as you can see, that didn't pan out. It cracked all over the place.

(idea for the rocks came from here, but we used this recipe.
obviously should have stuck with the one that came along with the tutorial, but we were trying to kill two
birds with one stone, since we were already using the other recipe for another gift.)

Plan B, a canvas painting. Griffy loves drawing and painting and doing anything crafty, so I was actually happy that Plan A failed, because I think this gift was more fitting. Daddy loved it, of course.



I found the canvas at Wal-Mart in the craft section. They came in a set of three FLAT canvases.

And, from Colson: Angry Birds. I ended up pretty much doing this project by myself, but he was happy to pass it along to his dad and claim it as his own. Silly boy. In his defense, he had been a little sick that day, so I know he wasn't feeling 100%.

We didn't get much playing in, before baby took over, but Hubba took his Angry Birds to work, so we'll be able to play with them when we visit him.

instructions here, but I ended up just using my hand to make the pom poms. I think that method is easier and quicker. There's probably more trimming involved to get the right shape, but I'll take trimming over wrapping any day.

I had Brad open Colson's present on Christmas EVE because I knew what Brad had made for the boys and I thought it had potential to make Colson feel a little trumped. . . . .(to come)



{handmade gift 1, 2 and 3)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!! All the gifts are wonderful! I LOVE the shirt you made Brad - that is awesome!! You all did such a great job and I know that when gifts are made it is so exciting for the maker to see the reaction of the reciever! Well done everyone!
    love you all,
    mom/grammy

    ReplyDelete